The Seafarer's Library
The Eugenides Foundation took on the writing and publication of teaching texts for students of state Merchant Marine Academies in close collaboration with the Maritime Training Administration. The project was assigned to the Foundation under decisions no. 61288/5031/9.8.1966 and 1942B´/30.12.2005 of the Ministry of Merchant Marine, whereby a competent publications committee was formed at the Foundation.
The result of this collaboration, which continues unhindered to this day, was the publication of the Seafarer's Library series. This includes 30 volumes published in the period 1967-1979 for students of state Merchant Marine Academies.
In addition, 54 volumes were published for the higher education state Merchant Marine Academies (ADSEN) between 1981 and 2001.
When the Marine Academies (AEN) were established and the curricula were revised, the Ministry of Merchant Marine, with ministerial decision no. 1168Β΄/14.6.1999 assigned the Foundation to write and publish the required new books. As part of this series, 11 volumes have already been published, while another seven are being written and three more have been commissioned.
To the abovementioned books, 13 translations of maritime manuals should be added. Some of these are not purely educational, but are essential to seafarers.
1. Panagiotis Makris, Technical Mechanics I.
2. Panagiotis Makris, Technical Mechanics II.
3. Leonidas Karapiperis, The Making and Use of Weather Maps by Seafarers.
4. Andreas Leontopoulos, Ioannis Papaioannou, Accident Prevention On Board Ship at Sea and in Port.
5. Ioannis Papaioannou, Tide Tables.
6. Ioannis Papaioannou, Excerpts from Astronomical Newspapers.
7. Ioannis Papaioannou, Excerpts of Tables for Solving Triangle Position in Astronomical Navigation.
8. M. Garyfallos, Georgios Kafasis, Fire Fighting-Prevention and Fire Safety for Ships.
9. Ioannis Zafiropoulos, Oceanography.
10. Damianos Doumanis, Tanker Safety Guide (Liquefied Gas).
11. B. Raizis, International Medical Guide for Ships (2nd edition).
12. Manolis Tabakakis, IMO Abbreviated Version of the Seaspeak Manual.
13. Georgios Dounavis, IMO (Standard Marine Communication Phrases).
All of the books in the Seafarer's Library, in addition to the fact that they have been written according to the curricula of the schools and comply with the students' needs, are generally useful to officers in the Merchant Navy who are active or are working toward promotion.
(Titles and Content only in Greek)